Sunday, January 29, 2017

#ProjectAlaska: Whitehorse to Liard River

One road I considered taking a side trip on and then decided against is the Canol Road. This road is gravel; very steep and narrow in parts; and due to its remoteness, I decided I should stay on a more main route. As you can see here, there are no services at all until Ross River, 226 kilometers from this point. Part of why I decided against taking it had to do with wildfires. Out here, most wildfires are left to burn being there aren't many buildings or anything to protect other than forest. Also, there is no cellphone service out here to call for help should anything go wrong. I was carrying a rather substantial amount of food in the freezer which required electricity each night at the campgrounds. A breakdown on this road might turn out to be a serious problem, so I decided not to risk it.







Further along this day's route brought me to the world famous "Sign Post Forest" at Watson Lake [http://www.watsonlake.ca/our-community/sign-post-forest/].










Also along my route to Liard River, I came upon quite a bit of wildlife. Here are a couple of young black bears:




Not too far from the bears, I came upon a herd of bison. Upon further investigation, sadly I realized that part of the reason they were all congregating on the side of the road was due to a young calf having been hit probably not too long before I arrived.










Tomorrow I'll have some really beautiful pictures along with more wildlife!


No comments:

Post a Comment