Saturday, January 14, 2017

#Project365: Crowsnest Pass, the mighty Columbia River, and Whatshan Lake

Today wraps up the first leg of the story of my voyage, ending at a friend's farm in British Columbia and giving me some rest from driving. After crossing the seemingly endless hay fields surrounding Pincher Creek, Alberta, I came to an interesting historic place called, "Leitch Collieries," which used to be a coal mining operation. The operation came to a halt during WWI due to financing issues.









You can learn more about this park here: http://history.alberta.ca/leitch/

As I continued up to the pass, I discovered more interesting sites (including the Frank Slide [http://history.alberta.ca/frankslide/]) and came upon this old mining building:




In fact, I am still learning more about this trip even now. As I traveled through the Crowsnest Pass, I went from Alberta to British Columbia.




I continued through Salmo and many other small towns along the way.







Eventually I made it to Nakusp and the Columbia River where BC 6 turns south and heads to Fauquier where the ferry crosses the Columbia River.




This was the first time I had been on a ferry, so it was a unique experience for me.




Once I was across the river, it was a short drive to my destination near Whatshan Lake where my friend lives. What an adventure this had been so far!


No comments:

Post a Comment