Thursday, January 19, 2017

#Project365: Into the Wilderness

I have actually been in the wilderness for quite some time; spending most of my time away from much in the sense of cities, towns, or urban sprawl. However, up until now there had at least been towns to obtain gas, food, or other necessary items every once in a while. Where I was headed now is REALLY out of the way. I was about to travel from Smithers to Kitwanga and once leaving there wouldn't have any roadside services along BC 37 (Cassiar Highway) until I reached Meziadin Junction. Here's a map of Kitwanga:
http://goo.gl/maps/icRPA55vznE2

Once leaving Kitwanga, it would be 245 kilometers (152 miles) to the campground with nothing but a gas station and convenience store at Meziadin Junction about halfway through the journey.




Some of the bridges along the route are single lane:







I came upon a nice little picnic area here:




This is along the back of the campground; I investigated beyond this area where some trails go quite some distance back into the woods, but  since I was by myself I didn't get too far away from the campground. Coming upon a bear wouldn't be my idea of a fun time.




The campground also features a motel, laundry, exercise room, hot tub, restaurant, ice cream parlor, and small store along with a gas station.










This Lodge/Campground even features a helipad! In the winter, it features a sport called "heliskiing" which consists of a helicopter taking participants to a location where the skiing is good, dropping them off for a few hours and then returning later to pick them up. This was the ONLY campground during my entire trip that had a helipad. I even got a short video of a helicopter take-off here on our Treasured Traditions page on Facebook: 


No comments:

Post a Comment