Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Watoga State Park

 







This nondescript picture taken at Watoga State Park in West Virginia is actually at the T.M. Cheek Memorial Overlook. The reason the picture doesn't actually show anything is that the fog only allows seeing objects that are close, not the mountains in the background. Sometimes the fog can be a good thing. I came up here to eat lunch and explore the area, and I was rewarded with a considerable amount of privacy with only one or two other vehicles even coming close. This is also the location of the Mountain Picnic Area. The privacy turned out to be an even bigger reward as you will see with some of the local wildlife who seemed curious about me.

Something else unique about Watoga SP is that in October of 2021, the International Dark-Sky Association (IDA) awarded it official Dark Sky Park status. I wrote about the IDA back in 2021 with The Beauty of The Darkness. Unfortunately for me, the skies were mostly too cloudy to see much at night, although I will admit that it is very dark there with no large cities close by. 





































































No comments:

Post a Comment