Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Roanoke Mountain Picnic Area

 





This is the 500th post on Treasured Traditions! Originally, this blog was used to feature artwork from our Office Manager, June Hoffman, and me, which, at the time
consisted mostly of Megasound products used as part of clients' wedding packages. Items like ceremony memory boxes, wedding certificate frames, handfasting cords, and many other items were available and eventually June got involved with another local wedding professional who also was into artwork and they began going to art shows together to sell their creations. Once the products became oriented around less wedding-related types of items, we retired the Treasured Traditions arm of the business and for many years this blog was more or less inactive. 

Fast forward to 2017 when I utilized this space for showcasing pictures as part of #Project365, and June and I saw photography every bit as artsy as the other creations. Naturally, when the time came for me to begin posting pictures again, I figured that since I had already used this blog as the medium for that before, I might as well use it again (rather than starting up a whole new blog).

Today's post comes to us from a special location just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, on Mill Mountain Parkway. This is the Roanoke Mountain Picnic Area which used to be a campground back in the day (opened in 1966 and re-purposed as the picnic area in 2014). Melanie and I had planned on eating our lunch at the top of Mill Mountain, but the park was packed and no picnic tables were available there. We had passed this picnic area and decided to come back to it which turned out to be an excellent decision.

























No comments:

Post a Comment